Smog stuff on Weber conversion?

To: List MGB <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Smog stuff on Weber conversion?
From: Der schwarze Buccaneer <js-allen@students.uiuc.edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 19:06:28 -0600 (CST)
        I recently acquired a Weber downdraft which has replaced the
ailing HIF SU's on my '72 'B, which, consequently, now runs again. I've not
got the Haynes Weber manual yet, and I don't know if it would help if I
had it.  Problem is, I'm not sure where to hook up all the smog bits to
the Weber.

        On my '72 I've got a smog pump that runs to a gulp valve that used
to enter the old inlet manifold.  There's a hose that splits into two
smaller ones and ran from the fore tappet cover to the SU's.  There's also
a hose from 'that cannister' into which the fuel vapor scavenge line runs,
which also used to connect to the two SU's.

        Now, the (W)eber didn't come with much in the way of instructions.
I've got it on there and it runs, but it's definitely not environmentally
friendly right now.  The only line I've got hooked into the W is one from
the tappet cover (having plugged the second line off to prevent vacuum
loss).  I hooked this up to what I assume is a vacuum inlet that lies on
the side of the W between the carb and the engine.  There's a little
plastic elbow that runs from the air cleaner - is that where the smog pump
line (ultimately off the gulp valve) ought to go?  How about the small
vacuum line that runs to the gulp valve?  Then there's the vapor scavenge
line - which portion of the W should I hook it to?  I can get some platic
T's and hose at the local part store, but I need some ideas about which
apparati need to be hooked in at which of the two available spots on the
W.  BTW, the instructions with the W suggested taking the gulp valve and
smog pump off altogether.

        The inlet manifold has a tapped hole for power brakes I think, but
the only thing of my old inlet that fits it is a solid plug.  (I don't
have power brakes - it's a '72, but it looks like it would be a good place
to hook in some of these smog devices if there was a fitting provided for
it).

        Finally, the distributor is the original 25D type, complete with a
non-funtional vacuum advance.  I've got it set so it runs better at speed
and idles poorly.  But, for future reference, if I replace it with either
a rebuilt 25D or a new 45, where should I hook up the vacuum?  I'm
considering the fully mechanical Mallory too, which would eliminate that
problem quite nicely (and about $200 U.S.  :).

        Any information would be much appreciated, but information that is
useful to the problem at hand is especially appreciated!  Thanx!

                                                -Scott Allen
                                                js-allen@students.uiuc.edu

        "At dawn we will face the greatest test of our resolve.  But I
say this: though starving, hunger will not weaken us; though diseased,
illness will not cripple us, and though weary, exhaustion will not claim
us.  We can fight knowing that all true Reiklanders will forevermore
honour our valiant gesture of defiance, even though our bodies be left to
feed the beasts of carrion.

        Mind you...we could always surrender."  -Rick Priestly's Siege