Re: Smog stuff on Weber conversion

To: mgs <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Smog stuff on Weber conversion
From: Douglas McKinnie <mup1dm@surrey.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 98 12:17:30 +0000
>On my '72 I've got a smog pump that runs to a gulp valve that used
>to enter the old inlet manifold.  There's a hose that splits into two
>smaller ones and ran from the fore tappet cover to the SU's.  There's also
>a hose from 'that cannister' into which the fuel vapor scavenge line runs,
>which also used to connect to the two SU's.
Working from memory, as my 72 is on the side of the pond that requires
smog
stuff and I am on the side of the pond where I breathe the results of no
smog stuff:     Mine has a Weber, but no air pump.

When I asked my mechanic to do something about the dis-connected
cannister,
he drilled into the bottom of the air-cleaner case. The cannister output
and the tappet cover come into a 't' and then enter the air cleaner.
(This stopped the raw gasoline smell that disturbed me.)

>       Finally, the distributor is the original 25D type, complete with a
>non-funtional vacuum advance.  I've got it set so it runs better at speed
>and idles poorly.  But, for future reference, if I replace it with either
>a rebuilt 25D or a new 45, where should I hook up the vacuum?  I'm
>considering the fully mechanical Mallory too, which would eliminate that
>problem quite nicely (and about $200 U.S.  :).
I am rather tired of the poor idle on mine. I know nothing about the
functionality or otherwise of the vacuum advance on the distributor,
aside from never seeing any hose going to it. If anyone can tell me
what to do so that I don't have to go 'vroom vroom' at every stop to keep
from stalling I would be very happy.

>       Any information would be much appreciated, but information that is
>useful to the problem at hand is especially appreciated!  Thanx!
Me too.

Douglas McKinnie