Re: TD coil installation.

To: mgs <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TD coil installation.
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 1998 22:12:00 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 28 Mar 1998, James W. Dunn wrote:

> I need help.  I just removed the lucas coil from my 52 TD which has the
> terminal connections marked CB and SW.  The new coil has the connections
> marked with + and -, so how do these related to each other?  I would
> like to install the new coil in the morning.

On the original coil the "CB" stands for "contact breaker" (ignition
points to us Yanks) and the "SW" stands fo the ignition switch.

If your TD's electrical system is still in the original positive ground
configuration, then the "+" terminal on your new distributor connects to
the points and the "-" terminal is for the wire from the ignition switch.

If your car has been converted to negative ground (i.e. to allow use of a
modern radio), then connect the "-" terminal to the points and the "+"
terminal to the switch wire.

The coil will function if the connections are reversed, but the spark will
be weaker.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO
fold@bcpl.net