Abingdon spares

To: "MGS@autox.team.net" <MGS@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Abingdon spares
From: Bob Nogueira <nogera@prodigy.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 98 16:53:45 -0500
-- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #3.1a ] --

  John:
  Just last week I had to replace the rear bumper blade on my 74  MGBGT.
As you do, I  prefer the chrome overriders. The blades are the same shape
but the holes in the blade are in different locations.  The  74 has a
reinforcing bar which runs the length of the blade while the earlier cars
have two  smaller  bars  and no bolt hole in the middle of the blade.
You could use the early blade and overriders and mounting bars  or you could
do as I did and keep the full  bar  and fabricate some brackets to mount the
older style blade  and overriders to the 74 bar.

While I liked the looks of the earlier bumpers I can appreciate the later
heavy duty mounting bar as  some old fool failed to secure a 20 ft trailer
to his pickup truck and it came undone and ramed me in the rear .  The Heavy
duty bar kept the trailer form totally crushing the rear o the BGT. ( the
chrome blade folded like a wet noodle but the  mounting bar  was unharmed )

Good luck

Bob

>I need to replace the front bumber bar on my '74 Midget that has the large
rubber >"sabrina" overiders. What is the difference between tis type bumper
bar and the >earlier type using the chome overider with rubber insert. The
catalogs list a >different number for the '74

Thanks!
John