Midget clutch

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Midget clutch
From: patti morris <mgj2@globaldialog.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 18:18:39 -0600
I'm working on my '74 1275cc Midget project. I had to remove the clutch
slave cylinder from the gearbox to rebuild it. The clutch release arm seems
to have a lot of travel and looks like the slave cylinder is near the limit
of its travel before it starts to move the arm. I haven't been able to
actually try it yet because the metal line between the master and slave
cylinders is damaged but does this sound normal?

Ok, here's what I've seen. The cylinder push rod hole is good and the
clevis pin is new. Release arm hole is also good. So lost motion at that
point should not be a factor. I can't feel any play that might be a worn
bushing where the release arm pivots. Removing the rubber boot and looking
at the release bearing itself shows and 1/8" of  carbon ring is visible
beyond the metal part of the release bearing (that seems like enough but it
been a while since I saw a new one).

So, what do you Midgetwise listers think? Should I start pricing new clutch
parts or just stop worrying and get on with replacing the metal line and
try it?

Thanks!