Weber

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Weber
From: WSpohn4 <WSpohn4@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 12:44:52 EST
<<Subject: Weber downdraft

the question? how well does the weber down draft carb setup work on the early
"B" motors[ 18gbuh] Five main.>>

Answer - not very well. It is quite drivable, but don't look for any increase
in power. I've used it on a 'B' engine for a short time and then flogged it as
a waste of time.
A well tuned stock carb set up works as well. For that matter, if you are
looking for performance, don't bother with the 45 Weber. Simply bolting one on
and doing nothing else is probably the single most expensive couple of
horesepower you can buy. Do some porting and use a set of 1 3/4" carbs
(Triumphs don't really need em so steal them of a TR wreck). Very similar
horsepower, less expensive, and looks more or less original.
On the pushrod race engines we favour the HS6 SU's or HS8 for the extreme SCCA
style of engine, although I do use Webers on my Twincam, which has the
appropriate number of ports to take advantage of them.

Bill S.