Midget Progress

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Midget Progress
From: transerv@sprynet.com
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 1998 21:33:10 -0700 (PDT)

Well, I finally got around to having time to put all the list advice to work.
now own a timing light!  Could they have put the timing marks in a more
inaccessable place?

Anyway, I was working on the timing, crawling under the front bumper to shine
the timing light at the marks, and sittin back up next to the fender and
reaching in to turn the distributor...not an easy task for a 48 year OF in
pudgy
condition, when I managed to pull the distributor out instead of turning it.

Ol' 1275 don't run good with dizzy in dumb present owners hand!

Well, I got out my new Haynes manual and learned how to static time too..good
experience, yes?  I also took the opportunity to take the dist. into my shop
and
 clean it up a bit.  Someone had painted it black at some time, not it shines a
bit.

Anyway..I got everything back the right way and it actually fired up!  I then
proceeded to "tune" the carbs.  Still don't think I got them right, but I took
it on a test drive and she ran great for about six blocks.....

Can you say "out of *%$#%%@@! gas?  Short walk home, borrow 4 ft. of garden
hose
of the one in the front yard, and head back with the pick up.  Use of the OK
credit card had Katy running well again in about 10 minutes.  Then I drove her
home and presueded my lovely wife to drive me back to the pick up.

I think I'll invest in a color tune or a flow meter...any suggestions on which?
 Also, turning the adjustment nut on the bottom of the SU uo towards the bottom
of the carb, thats leaning it right?

Another thing, my intake manifold has two nipples (no jokes) with the vacum
tube
running to the dist. on one, and nothing on the other.  If I put my finger on
the other, the engine begins to stumble and almost die.  What does this tell
me???

Also, my tach doesn't work, and there is a green wire loose behind it.  When I
plug this onto the spade on the back of the tach, it swings over to 7000 and
pegs out.  I left it disconnected.  Is this a sign of a short in the wonderfus
Lucas wiring harness?

Finally, my odometer turned over 90,000 on the way to work last week.  I was
overjoyed, but at 90,006 the speedo and odo stopped working altogether.  Sound
like a cable gave up?

Thanks in advance for any advice you may give, and thanks to all for the advice
on the timing light and the carb tuning, even if I didn't do everything right.

Robert Houston
74'Midget, Katy