Brake bleeding problems on 80 MGB

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Brake bleeding problems on 80 MGB
From: "Phil Farmer" <swimmer@seark.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 09:24:18 -0500
I have 80 MGB on which I rebuilt the Master cylinder, front calipers and
rear wheel cylinders (then replace rear cylinders due to corrosion.  The
front calipers have bleed the air out fine.  On the rear cylinders I get air
bubbles coming out but cannot ever get the brakes to finally bleed.
Occasionally I get fluid coming out but when I move to the other wheel and
come back to say the left rear, it has gone back to bleeding air.  I have
tried loosening the pressure differential sensor and not loosening it.
Doesn't seem to make much difference.

Have tried putting a little air pressure on master cylinder.  Also made a
sucker to go on wheel cylinder bleeder screw using a shop vac.  No help from
either.

Any suggestions ?

Also in John Twist manual he recommends putting silicone on when remounting
the master cylinder.  Is this only between master cylinder and vacuum
booster or also between reservoir and master cylinder.

Help is very much appreciated.

I have about bleed this sucker to death.

Phil Farmer
http://www.seark.net/~swimmer  -  Arkansas Swimming Home Page
Monticello Marlins (Arkansas Swimming - USS)
Monticello Billies High School Swim Team
Burlington Ind.