Swaps

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Swaps
From: WSpohn4 <WSpohn4@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 10:54:48 EDT
<<A friend has the notion he should drop some sort of Toyota engine into his
MGB rather than repair what he's got.  He's trying to recall what Japanese
engine it is that makes this easy, economical swap.  (I know that people
have put RX-7 engines into B's, but that's not what he has in mind).  Is
there indeed such a widely available, easy-to-install engine, or is he
just nuts?>>

Well, he may be just nuts....
Any engine swap is not an economy move (barring the common Chev for Jag
perhaps in a V12 saloon), and will likely end up costing him more than
rebuilding the stock engine. Even if it doesn't, when the time comes to
rebuild the Japanese engine, he will pay then!
Having said that, some of the 1600 4 valve DOHC engines are pretty nice, as
used in the plastic MGA kit car that was around for a while (may still be,
somewhere).
Hey - if he can live without a few thousand bucks, I guess we can do without
one original B.

Bill S.