Re: See john weld. Crackle crackle..

To: Kelvin Dodd <kdodd@west.net>
Subject: Re: See john weld. Crackle crackle..
From: code5 <code5@ibm.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 22:57:05 -0400
Kelvin Dodd wrote:

> code5 wrote:
> >
> > Hello all-
> > Q--What's the difference between mig welding and voodoo?
> > A--I don't know.
>
> A- There is no difference, both require practice, practice, practice.
>
>         Books are not going to give you any more than you have.  Get
> some metal of various thickness.  Then start playing with various wire
> feed speed and current.  Play around until you get the feel for how
> these variables relate to each other.  Too slow and the wire will burn
> back into the nozzle.  Too fast and the wire will tend to shoot past the
> work and push through the weld pool.  Too high a current and you will be
> burning holes.  Too low and the wire will be sticking to the weld pool.
>         The only other variable is gas flow and that usually stays the
> same.  I cannot remember what I use, but your book should have a basic
> setting.  Play with the machine, there are no great secrets.  Luckily
> the settings are very forgiving and you have to have one of them really
> off to make poor welds.  Remember the thicker the material, the higher
> the current.  The higher the current, the more wire speed you need.
>
> good luck.   Kelvin.
Kevin-
Thanks for the response. It's good to hear that all this will probably
fall into place at some point.
I'm surprised at the difference I'm seeing between gas and gasless. I
could do fairly reasonable beads with self-shielded wire but as soon as
I set it up for gas, I started just dropping beads and globs of weld on
the surface of the 20 ga. steel and have a hard time getting a good
bead. Sometimes I actually end up making little arches of weld--like
little handles.
I'll keep experimenting.
Thanks again for the tips.
John Vallely