Re: Road salt in Denver

To: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@iname.com>,
Subject: Re: Road salt in Denver
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 08:42:21 -0400
On 4/10/98 5:25 PM so and so  Andrew B. Lundgren said. (And I quote)

Notes interspersed:

>On Fri, 10 Apr 1998 08:50:26 PDT, Jim McDougal wrote:
>
>>I am planning on moving to the Denver/ Aurora area in about a month and
>>I am unsure about what to do about my car. I have always lived in
>>Northern California (San Mateo and Santa Cruz)and as such, have had the
>>privilage of being able to drive Sysiphus (chrome bumpered 74 MGB)
>>daily. How much should I be concerned about the snow and road salt?
>>Should I purchase annother car for the winter or would I be safe in just
>>giving the underbody a good coat of waxoil?

We lived in Greeley (about 50 miles N of Denver) for 5 yrs. I drove the
75 Midget everyday while in school. As you probably know the school year
is during the winter. I never had a problem w/ salt corrosion cuz I
washed the car frequently. (whenever it was warm enough)

>I live in Aurora (southern edge anyway)  The salt can be washed off.  They
>mix it with
>sand half and half.  I have never driven my '70 B in snow, but I grew up
>here, so I am used to
>snow driving.  If you are not used to it, then you may very well wreck
>your B.
I have to agree. Learn the means of driving on snow and ice. The locals
can give you more tips and instructions than I can here.
>As they are
>RWD and pretty light I would guess that it would not go very well in the
>snow anyway.
Wrong. I have to disagree. It is because they are light that they go very
well in the snow. I drove the Midget from Gillette WY to Greely CO in a
snowstorm once and never felt the slightest bit at unsorts. the biggest
problem is the same that is inherent with all clutch operated vehicles.
Be careful how much gas and how much slip you give the clutch. If you
spin the wheels - you spin the wheels. I used to drive in the worst
weather as well as the best.

>I have a Ford Explorer (Wife's) and a '84 Toyota Cressida. (oil leaking
>thing)  I only drove the
>truck to work because of weather two or three times.  My B spent the
>winter in the garage for
>mechanical problems, but if you only drive your B on nice days you should
>still be able to
>drive it every month, as there are very nice days in the winter here.
You bet. We spent our anniversary (12/06) in Rocky Mountain National Park
in the Midget.

>If you are going to use it for a daily driver here, you are going to need
>a top and a heater that both
>work well. (I would suggest another car if you can spare the $)
My Parents bought us a Hardtop (SnugTop) for an X-Mas present. Worked
great. Still have it. only use it to cover the car when it is parked now.
It stands against the fence when I drive the 78 Midget.

>The emissions won't be bad to pass.  When you do get plates, ask about
>collector's plates, as they only
>have to be renewed every five years.  (Car must be 20 or 25 years old to
>qualify, can't remember which.
>My car is a '70 so it wasn't a problem.)
>
>When you get out here I can tell you of a few parts sources/repair shops
>if you need it, as well as a
>English only car show.

Used to know one in Greeley. Foreign Car Parts (lots of VW stuff but he
had a B and would get what I needed) Also Is Scotland Yard still in
Denver? Used Auto recycling place (junkyard).

Best

Larry Macy
78 Midget
(Now in eastern PA - Damn I miss those mountains!!!)

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
System Manager/Administrator
Neuropsychiatry Section