Re: MGB top (hood) Cover confusion(LONGISH)

To: Dan Ray <danray@bluegrass.net>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MGB top (hood) Cover confusion(LONGISH)
From: Jim Carlile <j_carlile@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 17:31:30 -0700 (PDT)

---Dan Ray <danray@bluegrass.net> wrote:

> The two that came with the car are the "apron" devices that I'm
curious
> about. They cover only the section behind the seats, i.e. a folded
top.
> The difference between the two has me puzzled...
> Bottom Line, will they BOTH cover a folded top? Which one is more
likely the
> original?
> Thanks for your help
> Dan
> '73 B

Dan,

The top cover that came with the car when new sounds like the one you
describe as having the two straps and the one long center piece. When
those 'B's" were new they came with the tonneau and this standard top
cover as illustrated by Moss, et.al.

Try on both of them to see which one fits and looks best. I'm a little
confused about your description of the other cover as somehow
extending to the "seats", because, except for the full tonneau, there
never was such a thing a year later. I've never heard of a "half
tonneau" so maybe it's some kind of custom deal.

When my 'B' was new it never came with the two piece tonneau bar, or a
tonneau or top cover, either. Perhaps earlier years did. I'd be
curious to know what kind of reaction your new tonneau gets around
town-- as I mentioned before it elicits hostility around L.A.!