Advice needed: Blocked drain tap

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Advice needed: Blocked drain tap
From: Rick Astley <ricka@mich.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 20:45:42 -0400
I wanted to drain my 1970 MGB block, so turned the brass drain tap so the
lever was in line with the tap. No water

I removed the tap. Still no water. I found the tap clogged and that the
open position was in fact with the lever at right angles to the tap, the
way it had been intalled since I have had the car. Feeling around in the
port with a wire from a coat hanger I pulled out more dry rust. Does any
one know in which direction the water channel goes to get into the water
jacket? At least I would know in which direction to poke around. Any other
ideas?

Also the radiator drain tap has a kind of butterfly which seems to just
spin around. I shall probably just pull the bottom hose off, but ought to
renew the tap. Is that dangerous? Any chance I might tear out the bottom of
the rad'?