Re: POWDER COATING SET UP FOR MG

To: MLAMBDIN@TOE.TOWSON.EDU
Subject: Re: POWDER COATING SET UP FOR MG
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 16:01:14 EDT
Mike,
  Essentially it's a process in which paint powder is sprayed onto the
piece to be painted.  The piece is given an electric charge that attracts
the powder.  Then the piece is put into an oven and baked until the
powder fuses into a coating.  I was in a place named Airborn Coatings, in
Hartford, CT last week, where the manager showed me around. They were
doing all sorts of car parts, including several chassis for Cobra
reproductions.
  What took me there was that they also do an aluminzing/ceramic coating
for exhaust manifolds and other high-temp applications. They had loads of
headers, manifolds and pipes in the place.  Their aluminizing job is very
similar in appearance to the original on the T-series MGs, allowing that
they have had to work harder to clean the metal so that it is probably
smoother.
Bob