Re: TD Rear Axle Oil Seal Question

To: "Bob MGT" <BobMGT@aol.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TD Rear Axle Oil Seal Question
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 18:55:23 -0700
Bob...it's not too daunting a task. Drain the axle oil, remove the wheels,
brake drums & shoes. Disconnect the brake pipes from the wheel cylinders.
Remove the backing plates. Take a hammer and chisel and tap the bearing
holder a few degrees clockwise so you can get at the back of it, then tap
against that exposed flange to withdraw the bearing holder. Sometimes the
bearing sticks in the holder, so the axle and bearing come out as well.
Press the bearing and holder off the axle, then the bearing out of the
holder. This exposes the seal, which you can then remove and install a new
one. Reassembly, as the workshop manual always says, is the reverse of the
above procedure, but you'll also have to bleed the rear brakes after
reconnecting the pipes. And don't forget to add fresh oil to the
differential.......

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center