[Top] [All Lists]

Rregistration marks, etc.

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Rregistration marks, etc.
From: Simon Matthews <>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 09:06:58 -0700
>Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 00:24:10 +0100
>From: "jonmac" <>
>Subject: Re: British Motor Industry Heritage Trust
>Hi, Biff
> Cars now first registered
>(licenced) before 1973, no longer have to pay UK Road Tax but certification
>is required by the licencing authorites and this is what BMIHT provides
>from its build records.

I thought the exemption was actually based on date of manufacture -- since
cars that were used abroad will qualify if you can prove date of
manufacture? Or do you have to prove date of registration abroad?

For non-Brits, it is important to note that for the last 30+ years, one
letter on the number plate depends upon year of manufacture (for the first
20+ years it was the last letter, now it is the first letter, 'Q' is for
specials, 'I' 'Z' and perhaps others were skipped). Thus there is cachet in
having either an old number, or a very new one. If you import an old car,
and can show date of registration, they will issue an old number. This will
make a significant difference to the value of the car. 

>Yes, it is a British thing. You call it a licence plate, we call it a
>Registration Plate or a Number Plate. 

"We call it a registration plate". I'm not sure who "we" are; only perhaps
the DVLA and a few others call it this. Let's face it, 'number plate' is
the universal term in the UK. 

>John Macartney
Simon Matthews      Avant! Corporation
                    Phone:  (510) 413-8820
                    Fax:    (510) 413-8080

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>
  • Rregistration marks, etc., Simon Matthews <=