Re: Colortune tool

To: stecz@pswtech.com
Subject: Re: Colortune tool
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 16:16:16 EDT
On Mon, 27 Apr 1998 13:08:53 -0500 John Steczkowski <stecz@pswtech.com>
writes:
>I don't understand how you use the colortune, I understand that you
>can see
>the flame color which indicates leanness/richness, but you can only
>see it
>with no load on the engine. Doesn't load play a big factor on the
>mixture?
BIG SNIP

Yes, and no.
 Yes because there will be more fuel needed by an engine under load
 No because there is a corresponding increase in air needed by the same
engine, and both are taken care of by the operator of said engine,
opening the throttle.
 Any minor variation in the mixture needed by a laden engine and one
un-loaded, will be adjusted for by the carb(s) internal "self adjusting"
features, be they SU's, Weber,  Stromberg, or Holley 1100 CFM.
 If you follow the instructions packed with the colortune unit (which I
won't quote here, cause my eldest son "borrowed" my unit and still has
it!!!!!! along with the booklet)
and get the "flame" to the correct color, you will be as close as you can
get without a $1000 exhaust gase analyzer.
 If you have any doubt about the correct color, it's always safest to err
on the rich side.
  This is why I always use the two center cylinders to set the mixture,
so that I don't have one (or 2) running on the lean side.

Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget