Re: MGB Handbrake Tightening

To: "Miller, John" <John_Miller@jdedwards.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: MGB Handbrake Tightening
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 17:24:32 -0700
Assuming the rear brakes are adjusted properly, and assuming that all the
adjustment has been used up on the threads on the end of the cable, and
assuming that you don't want to spend the bucks to by a new cable, the quick
fix is to:

Remove the passenger seat, locate the nut (down by the floor, at the bottom
of the tunnel) that secures the outer cable abutment, undo the nut, push the
abutment back through the hole, then drill a same-size hole about an inch
back from the original. Put a bolt and nut through the original hole (to
prevent the ingress of water, etc.), re-fit the abutment through the new
hole, tighten the nut. Then slacken the adjusting nut on the end of the
cable until you have a properly working handbrake.

Oh, yes, don't forget to put the passenger seat back in........

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center