Re: Speedo drive gear /Some Good Advice

To: Rene and Marion van Maanen <renevm@support.neth.hp.com>
Subject: Re: Speedo drive gear /Some Good Advice
From: palte@rt.el.utwente.nl (Bert Palte)
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 98 17:10:55 +0200
Rene wrote on this sunny afternoon:

>Hi,
>
>It looks like I will have to change the speedometer drive gear. I can
>hold still the cable while driving (speedo removed). I found this out by
>a heavily swinging needle.

Rene, first check the OTHER end of the speedo cable!
Other possibilities:

1. The cable may have been broken.

2. The cable may have seized (had this once with my MG)

3. The cable may be otherwise defective.
    I've had a similar problem with my MG, once:
    the square opening on the speedo gear was TURNING AROUND
    the cable end, instead of DRIVING the cable end.
    This was an a NEW Smiths speedo cable:
     a "rogue" part, as my British supplier later said.

    (i had never heard the word "rogue" before....)

So, check carefully!

BTDT (= been there, done that)

Bert