Re: List Hat - Now The Text Part

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: List Hat - Now The Text Part
From: Bert Palte <palte@rt.el.utwente.nl>
Date: Sun, 3 May 98 10:44:58 +0200
Dear Fellow MG-Listers, Who Are Contemplating The Design Of A List Hat,

1. May I suggest that the "mgs@autox.team.net" (on a hat) be replaced by
something else, e.g. by a URL where info can be found about this very list.

The reason: For someone who is NOT on the list, the address
"mgs@autox.team.net" does NOT contain useful information. If I understand it
correctly, (since D.H.-day) a message sent to "mgs@autox.team.net" will NOT
be distributed, unless the sender is already on the list.
A message sent by a non-lister to "mgs@autox.team.net" may not even cause a
response to arrive at the non-listers address (but then, I'm not too sure..
perhaps an error message will...).
Please correct me if I am wrong.

2. May I furthermore suggest that included messages in replies are either
deleted or considerably snipped, too many "Re:" 's are on this list where we
have seen the entire text already ten times... taking up unnecessary
bandwidth...

Bert

(The term "D.H.-day" refers to something that went terribly wrong with this
mailing list, about 2.5 years ago. Everybody who was on the list then, will
know waht I mean. Measures have been taken, since, by MJB who takes care of
this list.
Everybody who has joined later: please ignore this remark).