'73 B Starter - Learn from my Mistakes!

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: '73 B Starter - Learn from my Mistakes!
From: "Dan Ray" <danray@bluegrass.net>
Date: Sun, 3 May 1998 15:39:58 -0500
My previous question has now become moot. The starter is toast. (Bendix or
something  -- shaft bouncing in and out) and only pulling about 30-35 Amps.
I took the starter off today and had it checked, since I figured out that
pulling the solenoid was NOT a good idea, and it was grounded. (I put it
back in upside down :{) Didn't cost me anything other than some light
hearted flak from the guys at the Craft Shop. But hey, I learned something
today!
The starter on a '73 B (and others) can be removed in about 5 minutes. Just
don't follow the manual's instructions. :) Why they tell you to remove the
dizzy and oil filter housing is beyond me!
I merely pulled off the dizzy cap to get at the bolt, (9/16 socket w/ 3"
extension), jackstand to support from underneath, removed the bottom bolt
and jackstand then pulled the starter down and away, manipulating the
flexible clutch line to one side.
All's not lost, I got a referral for a local guy who rebuilds starters for
some area dealers and on all the Farm tractors (so hopefully he knows Prince
Lucas, hehe)
Barring that...any suggestions on a common replacement? (Available at a
parts store) $240 for a new Lucas from Moss! ugh. I don't think its wise for
me to try and rebuild it myself - I'm obviously "electically challenged".
Dan
'73 B