Trans

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Trans
From: WSpohn4 <WSpohn4@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 16:31:50 EDT
<<Okay -- here's my dilemma:
I don't want to keep my standard 4 speed. The thought of pushing my B to
the high rev mark and leaving it there frankly scares me.
I'm considering my options. I know OD is nice - it's original equipment,
bolts into the car nicely, etc -- but is also hard to find and even harder
to find one working perfectly.
A 5 speed is good because I don't have to worry about going into reverse
with OD engaged, there are many Z car transmissions around, etc -- but the
conversion kit is expensive.
What's a more sensical way of doing things??
BEN RUSET >>

Well first, unless the person you got your car from is a complete idiot, he
would never disable the isolating switch on the transmission, and thus you
could never shift into reverse with the OD engaged.
Finding an original must be cheaper and easier than converting to the Datsun,
for instance. The conversion kit alone without trans will cost you what you
should have to spend to pick up a decent used OD MG box.
So don't discount the OEM stuff too easily.

Bill S.