Re: left motor mount

To: williem@mindspring.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: left motor mount
From: Teacher122 <Teacher122@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 17:24:17 EDT
In a message dated 98-05-03 21:50:16 EDT, williem@mindspring.com writes:

<<
 I was helping a friend pull the engine out of his 80 MGB this weekend and
 we had a rather hard time with the left engine mount.  New mounts are
 planned to go in.  Last year I saw a method on the list for the late model
 engine mount replacement (especially the mount to body nut and the one next
 to the block on the top).  I didn't save it because I have a '74 with a
 different mount type and arrangement.  Did anyone save the method that
 makes this easier and could you forward it.

 TIA >>

Dear William.

Don't pull the steering shaft.  It isn't necessary.  I went throught this last
fall.  If you haven't pulled the engine completely, unbolt it from the mounts
leaving them in the car.  A combination wrench can be slid in on the outside
of the mounts.  A pipe wrench can be applied to the rubber part.  Dont worry
about tearing up the rubber as you can take a large drill bit and drill the
bolt head off of the plate if the pipe wrench doesn't work out.  One out of
two of mine had to be drilled.  It beat having to remove the stearing
apparatus!

Good Luck
Tom Green