Re: wiring electric fans - white wire/green wire/fuses

To: peloquin@galaxy.ucr.edu, bmc@aa.net
Subject: Re: wiring electric fans - white wire/green wire/fuses
From: DANMAS <DANMAS@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 13:28:38 EDT
peloquin@galaxy.ucr.edu writes:

> In my '70 BGT, there is an unused lead at the fuse box that supplies white
>  wires. White wires are hot only when the ignition is on in my car. That is
>  where I got the power for my fan.

Hi, John,

As this is the second time someone has made a statement similar to this, I
feel I must comment.  Hopefully, both of you have made the wiring correctly,
but mistated it in your postings (or maybe I just mis-read it).  The fuse does
not supply the white wire -- the white wire supplies the fuse.  If you have
connected the fan to the side of the fuse with the white wire, your fan is
unfused!  The green wires on the other side of the fuse is where you want to
add loads if you want them fused.

Remember the LBC wiring color codes:

Brown:  Hot all the time, unfused
Purple:  Hot all the time, fused
White:  Hot when the key is on, unfused
Green:  Hot when the key is on, fused

The brown wires supply power from the battery/alternator to the purple wires
via a fuse, and to the ignition switch without a fuse.  The ignition switch
supplies power to the white wires, unfused, and the white wires supply power
to the green wires via a fuse.

Also, Scott wrote:

> It seems silly to run a wire all the way from the battery, but I don't want
> overload any other wiring either.

Keep in mind that these cars came from the factory with the wiring stressed to
the max to begin with.  A fan can draw a lot of current.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74