76-B rear end

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, british-cars-owner@Autox.Team.Net, HGlenBetts@aol.com
Subject: 76-B rear end
From: HGlenBetts <HGlenBetts@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 12:53:24 EDT
Terrible sounds out of the rear end of my 76-B. Drained differential and
removed the cover to find SHAVINGS :-((

With a leak at the front of the differential, I've got to believe that I've
lost one or both of the pinion bearings. Is this something that a shade tree
machanic with your standard set of Craftsmens can tackle??

Reading my bently's manual, it looks like I need $10,000. of specialty tools.
My first thought is find a rear axle and do an R&R. any thoughts from you
pros?

One last question... How much should I pay for an axle? How do I tell if it's
any good? Will any year tube axle fit? (I have rostyles) I guess that's three
questions

Thanks

Glen in sunny Milford Michigan

76 MG-B not going anywhere