Re: What engine IS this????

To: Andy Ramm <aramm@concentric.net>
Subject: Re: What engine IS this????
From: Bill Schooler <schooler@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 09 May 1998 09:10:49 -0400
Andy Ramm wrote:

> My '67 B is equipped with an engine that according to the DPO is a rebuilt
> replacement, not the original.  But, it has a very strange engine #.  It's
>18G-RWE-H31882.
>
> The 18G part would suggest it's an early 3-main motor.
>
> I've never heard of an R specification, but the WE would suggest vintage
> between late '67 and early '70.
>
> H means high compression, but I have no clue what a 31882 number would
> suggest.  Can someone shed some light on this?  I'd really appreciate it!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andy

Andy,

I'll draw on Anders Clausager's book and provide the following info.
You said the engine number is 18G-RWE-H31882.  You're right - there are
some contadictions with that number.  First, the easy one.  The R means
that the transmission originally mated with that engine had an
overdrive. The WE indicates that the transmission was a four-synchro
gearbox.  Now you know that the engine should be from a 1968 - 1971
model car.  But there should be a second letter after the G - either D,
F, G, H, J, or K.  (The H, right before the serial number, indicates a
high compression engine as you have stated.)

Further cross-checking, using the engine number of 31882, indicates that
the second letter should only be an H or J.

Assuming that the single letter G is actually correct - which would not
be possible if Clausager's data is accurate - the engine would have a
mechanical tach drive, taken from a gear at the rear of the camshaft.
Does your engine have that feature?

Recommend you look very closely for a second letter following the G.  As
mentioned above, it should be either an H or J.

--
*Bill Schooler      *Check the MGCC Wash DC Centre Web Page
*Woodbridge, VA     *http://members.aol.com/mgccwdcc/