Re: Carlisle Water Soluable members

To: "Leckstein" <bleckstein@mail.monmouth.com>,
Subject: Re: Carlisle Water Soluable members
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 16:20:38 -0400
>At 01:09 PM 5/10/98 +0000, Dave Houser wrote:
>>Well, for those of us that met at the designated Grandstand area Sat., a
>>great time was had by all. The prizes and gifts that went back to
>>several parts of the country put smiles on all those faces!
>>Again, congrats to David Deutsch and Don Ainsworth who split the 50/50
>>contest! $200 bucks each was a nice bundle to buy more in the Flea
>>Market. Also congrats to Mike Robson, Larry Macy and Mike Leckstein for
>>each winning the Moet champagne in the parts contest! Way to go!
>>Fellow members Rick Smith, Rich Boris, Frank Krajewski and Doug Russell,
>>I believe, also hit big with the club jackets in the raffle prizes!
>>Everyone there also got hats.
>>To those "water soluable members" who missed out on the party, and they
>>were:Mike Hirschman, Bernie Dahlen, Tom Buchanan, Dan Ray, Bill
>>Schooler,Philip Hubbard, Steve Tritle and Mark Sherman, a postage paid
>>envelop will get you your badge that was made up for you. You missed
>>quite a show!
>>Yes, there were a few light showers Friday, but Saturday's sunshine had
>>all those MG treasures sparking like jewels on the vendor's tables. My
>>coup was a set of 4 Michelin XZX's for $40! What was your find of the
>>weekend?
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Dave Houser

Well you knew  I'd have to throw in w/ a comment or two about Carlisle. I
was the only Lister to drive to Carlisle topless. You may remember I have
a hard top that keeps the car dry when I'm not driving. However I braved
the elements to drive down to Carlisle with the top at home. The drive
down was relatively dry, a little mist when I left. After meeting up with
everybody I went and found what I've been looking for for several years.
A new ignition switch! With KEYS!! I found one at a stand, I had it in my
hand and I bought it. Next weekend I'll put it in and feel safer. I
currently do not need a key.
I went around to the front of the grandstand and watched a guy in a
spruced up VW Golf try the balance. The object is to drive up a ramp that
has a pivot and try to get the car level w/o tipping it the other way.
Well he didn't even come close. I figured I'd give it a try 'cuz I dive
an MG! I knew where the center of gravity is about at the knee - right.
Well I came pretty close but no dice. I did find out that the center of
gravity in my 78 Midget is right under my butt. (No comments from the
peanut gallery)
After that I took off for the 2 hour dive home. About 20 minutes later it
started to pour. I was cruising along about 60 in the rain and the only
part of me that got wet was my hat. Course when I stopped to relieve my
self I got drenched. By the time I got home it had pretty much stopped.
However as the road was still soaking the spray from the other cars was
like it was still raining. God I hate being behind a truck when its wet -
you can't see a f&^%ing thing. Oh well I got home safely and relaxed with
the family for the evening. Had a lot of fun!

Mike R I was going to join you later but I decided that discretion was
the better part of valor I didn't want to drive home in the rain in the
dark.  Maybe next time.

Larry Macy
78 Midget

PS Dr. Doug - I have your name tag. I'll mail it to you send me you
address.