Re: Leaky Carb Problem Over - New Ones Begin

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Leaky Carb Problem Over - New Ones Begin
From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 21:03:19 -0400
At 08:31 PM 5/15/98 EDT, you wrote:
>Ref:  Your note of Fri, 15 May 1998 19:53:43 -0400
>
>  Dashpot oil shortage won't hurt 'em.  Breathe easy!
>       Ed in NC :-)

Thanks to all who answered to say I didn't destroy my carbs by running
without oil.  I've topped them off now, but haven't restarted the car.

If the oil wasn't really the problem, that begs the question.  Why is my
car now smoking?  It's smoking out the carbs (haven't put the air filters
back on yet) and much, much more out of the one that was so low on oil.  In
fact, I'm not sure I saw any smoke out of the other one.

It was whitish smoke if that makes a difference.  Also, there were no
obvious problems with this car before the exhaust pipe cracked and I
started to work on it.  :)  I replaced the exhaust manifold, front pipe,
tail pipe and muffler and then had the carb leak problem.  Is there
anything obvious to cause the smoke in that?  Well, in the meantime I will
go restart the car with oil in the dashpots and see if there is any smoke.
If so, I'll shut down right away.

Again, thanks for the word that I haven't demolished my car.....yet.

Philip

1974 MG Midget (Burgundy)