Re: "Crack of Doom" Was Re: On the road!

To: lundgren@iname.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: "Crack of Doom" Was Re: On the road!
From: RJohn50603 <RJohn50603@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 06:50:53 EDT
Andrew,

If you have the standard side mirrors, it is just a matter of time. At that
point, you can fix it or you can fix it now. Either way your going to have to
repaint the door as the welding of the stiffner piece will burn all of the
paint off.

I bought a MIG welder and just need the time to do the fix on my '73.
Oxyacetlyene welding will work, but there will be much more distortion and
you'll need more filler to make it look right.

Getting the side windows out are a pain (no pun intended, well OK maybe a
little.) In fact, so was the front windscreen when I replaced it. I've had the
the side glass out before. The trick is to tip one end down and the other up.
Can't remember which. Just don't hit the edge against anything too hard. The
tempered glass that the side glass (or "lites" as the trade calls them) are
made of explodes into a bunch of tiny pieces when it breaks. The edge is the
most sensitive area.

R. Johnson - Dallas