Re: 76 B Trans problem...

To: "Rob S" <prplrhed@sonic.net>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: 76 B Trans problem...
From: "Robert Allen" <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 15:03:59 -0500
From: Rob S <prplrhed@sonic.net>

>Problem is I get a real healthy grind when downshifting from
>third to second. All other gears seem fine both upshifting as well as
>downshifting and I have no problem getting the car into 1st or reverse from
>a standstill.

When you pull it apart, I'll bet a dollar that the 2nd gear synchro ring
will be cracked. It is real common that the ring splits and further shifts
causes the ring to expand slightly and prevents smooth engagement.

Probably never happens to cars lacking soul...

Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6
"Whenever I'm caught between two evils, I take the one I've never tried." --
Mae West