Re: Bonnet/Air Filter Clearance

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Bonnet/Air Filter Clearance
From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 00:22:39 -0400
> First, were you in Bayville, NJ today? I saw a burgundy chrome bumper
midget.

Unfortuntely that wasn't me.  I didn't get home until 8:30pm today (par for
the course) and was nowhere near Bayville.  Was it a nice Midget?  :)

>Your bonnet may just need it's latch adjusted.
>With a 9/16 wrench and a screw driver, open the bonnet and loosen the lock
nut
>up inside on the center latch/spring gizmo. Unscrew the peg a turn or two,
check
>the fit, and tighten the luck nut.

Wanted to take this advice and found that the one wrench missing is the
9/16.  Still, as several have suggested the latch issue I did fiddle with
it using the wrong tools.  :)  I think I had two separate problems because
after driving in a spritely manner the bonnet stayed closed.  Problem one
addressed.  However, I am sure the air filters are bumping into the bonnet.
 I can see the wear marks, there is a bit of a ding in my bonnet where it
hit the air filter and I can hear the rattle from time to time.  Since it
is hitting only on the top of the air filter furthest from the carb, it may
solve the problem if I get a couple of those K&Ns that are about 1 1/2" deep.

Philip
Burgundy 1974 Midget