RE: Ignorance rises again--what is a "drophead" coupe?

To: "'Scott McKorkle'" <bmc@aa.net>, "MGs (E-mail)" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Ignorance rises again--what is a "drophead" coupe?
From: Phil Vanner <pvanner@pclink.com>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 14:13:36 -0500
Scott

"drophead coupe" is a quaint and outdated term for a convertible.=20

As opposed to a roadster. Originally "Roadster" referred only to cars =
with very minimal or no weather protection at all, no roll-up windows, =
often no trunk or luggage space, no door locks or external door handles, =
low windscreen. Basically a race car, or a very minimalist road car.

Drophead coupes were cars with rollup windows etc, but had soft tops =
that could be lowered, like virtually every modern "convertible."  =
Meaning that  they had the comfort of coupes, with a soft top.  In =
German cars this is known as a Cabriolet.  The only modern production =
roadster I'm aware of is the Viper RT-10 (latest versions have electric =
windows though.) Now, roadster seems to mean any open two-seater, and =
convertible means any open four-seater

Jag XKs are a good example - there were roadsters and drophead coupes, =
at a show if you can see an example of each you'll see what I mean.

Porsche 356's also: there are Speedsters (roadsters) and Cabriolets.

The roadster is almost invariably the version that the manufacturer =
campaigned in races, and was the club racers car, the drophead coupe was =
usually similar in performance, excepting weight penalties for the extra =
weather gear. It was the touring or civilized version.

By this definition all non-GT, MGBs are dropheads as are all except the =
earliest Midgets =20
MGAs are either coupes or roadsters, no dropheads.
T-types are roadsters - with the exception of a few Tickford-bodied TAs =
as far as I know.

Phil Vanner
Mk1 Midget (roadster)=20