New MGA

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: New MGA
From: "M. W. Jordan, Jr." <mw_jordan@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 16:23:50 -0400
Thanks to all who responded to several pricing guidance requests I made
over the past several weeks.  I had located an MGA that had been in dry
storage for about 20 years, but was having difficulty in reaching a
pricing agreement with the owner.

I had posted several messages about this car on the list and finally
reached an agreement with the owner, took my trailer and loaded it up
and towed it back to Atlanta on Saturday afternoon.

Got it cleaned up Sunday morning (two mice nests, innumerable spider
webs), but no rust anywhere and put it in my garage/shop to begin a
closer examination.  The car came with two or three boxes of replacement
parts ordered from Moss 8-10 years ago, most of which had not been
installed.  I inventoried them and priced against the current list and
found I had about $2,000 worth of parts either ready to be installed or
recently (within past 20 years) installed.  Sunday the master cylinder
came off and a rebuild kit brought it back to functioning status.
Yesterday, I got two replacement batteries and put them in to test the
condition of the electrics and learned the fuel pump was functional, the
lights all work, the starter works, I get a spark  and the engine turns
freely with evidence of compression.  Last night I took the front brake
calipers off, removed the pistons and found no evidence of corrosion,
just a lot of gunk from sitting for 20 years or so. Tonight's project is
to rebuild calipers, remove radiator to send off to have tanked and
cleaned along with the new gas tank (sounds like there is either some
debris or rust inside), and start on replacing clutch slave cylinder and
rear brake cylinders (new parts included in deal.)

The initial evaluation of the car as an excellent restoration project
stands confirmed.  By the way, I found an old NAMGAR plate on the dash
with the number 43 on it; I confirmed with NAMGAR that the registration
was valid and had been made
in 1977 by the guy who sold it to me.

Projects over the next weeks are to rebuild carbs (kits already on
hand), replace all belts and hoses (hoses came with car - will have to
spring for new belts out of pocket) clean interior and re-install trim
that was removed when it was painted, rub the paint down then wax and
polish.

Should hit the road for initial tests some time next month.

Thanks again for all the help from the list.  Its good to have an MGA
again after a 30 year absence.

M. W. Jordan, Jr.
Marietta, GA