Re: Stalling after high speed

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Stalling after high speed
From: Harlan Jillson <hjillson@halnet.com>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 10:24:04 -0500
John Middlesworth wrote:

> I don't quite have the HIF4 carbs perfectly adjusted on my 72 B, but close
> enough.  It idles around 1000 and the plugs have the right grey-brown look
> to them.  The problem is that it likes to stall after running at 55-60
> mph, so that every exit ramp on the interstate becomes a scene of having
> to restart the car.  Is there a simple fix?  Does this suggest I'm running
> too rich or too lean?
>
> John Middlesworth
John,
   I just so happens I was reading through the MGB shop manual last
night (great for insomnia), and they were mentioning something that
may relate to your problem.
   They basically said that a problem simular to yours can occur if
the "gulp" valve that feeds air back into the carbs. when letting off
the gas, feeds too much air into the intake, the mixture goes way to
lean, and the engine can stall.  Apparently this valve is supposed to
lean out the mixture for emmissions purposes, but it can be overdone.
   If you still have your original emissions control equipment hooked
up, it might be worth looking at.

Harlan.