R: Steering bushing?

To: "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: R: Steering bushing?
From: "Alberto Manganini" <albertom@tin.it>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 23:38:09 +0200
> Question:  How do I fix this excessive play, and do I need to remove
> the steering wheel to do do it?

According to the Haynes manual, you should undo the nut and bolt at the
upper end of the u-joint, remove the indicator cowling and mechanism, then
free the brackets (the one just under the instrument cowl, and the other
above the pedals, access from engine bay) and remove the inner and outer
column together. Now you should pull out the inner column, prise out the
old felt bush and nylon bush and fit a new felt bush (previously soaked in
graphite oil for 4 hrs.) and nylon bush. As I've not tried it, cannot say
whether you are actually forced to remove the whole column assembly:
probably you could just undo the upper u-joint union, dismantle the
indicator cowling and pull out the inner column, to renew the bushes. I'd
appreciate very much if you could keep me informed of your work, because
I'm planning a similar job for the next winter!
HTH

Ciao