Re: my story

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: my story
From: shidis@netcom.ca
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 11:13:06 -0400 (EDT)
On 05/22/98 06:24:34 you wrote:

>Everyone has been so nice to me..so I thought I would take a minute to
>really introduce myself and my B.  I am Becky Mahoney and I live in OKC.
>I am an Area General Manager for a communications company.  I have not
>personally met anyone else here that owns one of our fine automobiles,
>but hope to soon as there is an all British car show here next weekend
>(anyone here gonna be there?) Ours is a passion that others can't seem
>to understand, so I can appreciate the connections to people like you!
>
>I have had the B for 4 years now and have never really had the money to
>fix her up.  I bought it from a friend that had it stored out in the
>back yard under a tree.  I felt so sorry for the car!!!!  She had owned
>it for 10 years and it had been parked there for six.  She said that the
>tires needed new valve stems and that's why she parked it back then and
>she just never got around to replacing them.  Such a big punishment for
>such a little offense!  The price she asked for the B was a little high,
>but she was desperate for money and she was my best friend, so I paid a
>little too much for it in some people's opinion.  I have always believed
>that it was worth it though...saved two friends at the same time...Donna
>and the B!.  I didn't have to do too much to get her running again.
>Replaced some seals, changed fluids, new fuel pump, battery, ignition
>parts, cleaned and adjusted those carbs..the motor has been the best
>part..strong heart!  Had quite a bit of trouble with it since the gas
>tank was full of rust and garbage and I was unable to afford the new gas
>tank.  Changed fuel filters once a month.  I loaned it to my daughter to
>drive with the instructions to never let the fuel level get below 1/2
>tank.  Hah!!!  Try telling that to a teenager! She finally moved in with
>a girlfriend who let her borrow her car all the time and so I picked the
>B up, only to find it full of trash (fast food cartons, coke cans, BEER
>CANS, etc.)  Someone had also hit it in the left back corner, resulting
>in the broken tail light.  I was so furious.  It might have looked like
>a piece of junk to her, but to me it was a beauty in the rough!  I made
>a solemn vow then to never let anyone else drive, borrow, touch,
>smell...The justice will come at the end of June..my daughter has been
>living in California for the last three years...she's coming for a visit
>and I will be picking her up at the airport with the B....I can hear it
>now.....IS THAT THE B???  CAN I DRIVE.....HELL NO.......EAT YOUR HEART
>OUT....Am I a cruel mom...the B doesn't think so!!
>For four years everyone has ridiculed and scorned the B.  Yes, it looked
>like a junker.  If you look in the newest Moss catalog at the inside of
>the front cover....the green MGB..I believe it's the second one...you'll
>see why they thought that!!!!  While that one is not mine,  my B could
>have been it's ugly twin!!!!  My SO continually makes comments about the
> [...]

Becky: It is great to hear of your efforts in bringing the B back to life.
       I have a fully restored 65 B  and 4 years ago bought a 69 B for my wife
Arlene. 2 years ago I decided to do a ground up on the car for her as a gift.
       I kinow how your SO feels because everytime I came home I was sporting
new parts and a thinner wallet, but it was worth it. The car was originally
black and it it is back to it's original including a black factory hardtop we
just refinised.
         Once finished I know you will get as much enjoyment out it as Arlene
gets from driving hers.
       I'm looking forward to hearing about your first drive with the top down,
and hats off to you for undertaking the project yourself

                                             Don Ainsworth
                                             Hamilton, Ontario   Canada