BCW - The Prince Strikes, Help!!!

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: BCW - The Prince Strikes, Help!!!
From: ninab@scoresheet.com (Nina Barton)
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 11:29:52 -0700
British Car Week was going along so well.  Sunday and Monday, the sun was
out, the car was running great, and all was right with the world.  I live
in a rarified area of Berkeley, as local neighbors drive 2 different TR6's,
a Healey 3000, and an XK120 on a regualr basis, so lbc sightings are a
regualr thing.  However, it being BCW, and several of the kids being gone
on camping trips, the GT was back to daily driver status.  Tuesday, the gas
gauge went flakey, with the level fluctuating wildly as I drove around.  I
didn't think it could be the sending unit, as it was replaced a year ago,
so time to investigate.  Reverse lights are also no longer working, however
rear turn signal and tail lights, and side markers still work.  There's a
ground that is inside the driver's side rear hatch area, near the side
marker light, which looks like someone might have bodged a repair there,
but I still haven't found any clear signs of a bad connection anywhere.
The fuses are fine, water temp, tach, and oil gauge work, the speedometer
hasn't worked since I came home from Seattle last year, I'd like to get
this sorted out so I can finish the week in style.  The car is a 1971
MGBGT, wiring diagram #10 in the Bentley manual.  Any suggestions?  Thanks
in advance,        Nina