BCW - A real tear-jerker

To: "MG List" <Mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: BCW - A real tear-jerker
From: "Mike Lishego" <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 03:30:24 -0400
    To do my part for British Car Week, I put some of my new parts on my
car, fixed the noise coming from the front end (loose caliper), and took off
for a run around the neighborhood.  I shot past a neighbor who I don't see
much of anymore and waved.  When my glorious run was completed, I pulled
into the driveway, and my neighbor, an elderly gentleman, came strolling up
to me and the car.  He asked me if it was an MG, and I assured him that it
was - a 1974 MGB.  He told me that when he came home after the war, he
bought a TD, and met his wife in it.  He looked at the car lovingly, and
asked me if I would take him for a drive in it.  Hell, I said, you can drive
'er if you want!
    Keep in mind that this car has no inspection, plates, or lights, but he
took me and the 'B through some local backroads.  The top was down, and he
loved it - there were two BIG smiles during the 20-mile jaunt.  I was
actually surprised at how well he handled the car through the turns,
downshifting and gunning the throttle to break the back-end loose!  He told
me all about the red TD, how he loved it, and how he fell in love with
British cars during his tour of duty in the British Isles.
    When the drive was finished he thanked me profusely and wished me luck
on my day's work.  You just can't ask for more from a car.  The events of
today make every penny I spend on this car worthwhile.

Michael S. Lishego
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/3706/