MGB overdrive / speedo gear replacement

Subject: MGB overdrive / speedo gear replacement
From: Larry Hoy <larryhoy@mcione.com>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 09:25:37 -0600
My speedometer quit working.  A bit of investigation reveals that the
speedometer driven gear is shot.  I am certain the speedometer drive
gear (inside the overdrive unit) is shot too.  Did you know the fine
engineers at MG used a *nylon* gear inside the overdrive to drive the
speedometer?  The good news is I have located a metal replacement.

Here's my questions:

1       Is it possible to remove the overdrive unit and leave the
transmission and engine in place?  (I don't think so)

2       Can the speedo gear be accessed with the OD still in the car.  I
suspect removing the bearing will be the most difficult issue.   Has
anyone ever run across a bearing extractor?  I don't care if the
bearing is destroyed during the process.

3       Can you tell I am not too keen on removing the engine, transmission
and OD to get my speedometer working again? (rhetorical, you don't
need to answer this one!)

1969 B / all syncro 4 speed / LH overdrive

Larry Hoy; Denver, CO. USA
1969 MGB Roadster
1987 Jaguar XJ6 VDP
"It's not how fast you go, it's how fast you go fast"