Re: Clunking and Jumping

To: phubbard@carroll.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Clunking and Jumping
From: RobMGB <RobMGB@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 22:39:27 EDT

<<  In the past 2 days I have
 heard a clunk about 3 times.  It's very noticeable (loud) and seems to be
 coming from the passenger's side of the car.  The first two times I was
 sure it was the back end, but the last time had me wondering.  Other than
 the jumpiness, nothing seems out of sorts.  Oh, I can't remember what I was
 doing the first time I heard the clunk, but the second two times I was not
 going very fast.  Once decelerating to a stop and the other time
 accelerating away from a stop.  I think the first time was at low speed
 pulling away from the gas pump and turning.  I've never heard it at speed. >>
I can think of 3 reasons cause Ive had all three. The first 2 involve wire
wheels. Worn wires can have rotation between inner and outer rims caused by
loose and worn spokes. If the spline is worn then the wheel can actually
rotate across the spline. And third is my current problem. I have bad U-
Joints. Same clunk sound but you can actually feel and hear it closer to the
shifter even though it is the rear joint. If it is the U-Joint you can tell by
getting under car and rotating shaft. You should not see any differential
movement between shaft and what it connects to at each end.
robmgb
74B