Read the manual? I think not! Carb Q

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Read the manual? I think not! Carb Q
From: Bill Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 09:20:50 -0500
I am sure that everyone is sick of hearing about my problems by now.  To
those of you who feel that way I offer a heart felt "too bad."  I need to
get the A back together by 16 June or I will be without wheels.  Besides,
if anyone starts complaining too much,  I will go down to Barnes and Noble
and pick up "101 _new_  uses for cats" and start listing them on line.

When setting the float level on these new fangled spring loaded needle
assemblies,  does one use the position of the float arm when it first rests
against the spring plunger or the level with the spring fully compressed.
My carb level happily splits the difference with the new needles and seats.
 The answer is probably in the manual although I don't remember reading it.
 Then again, I am not know for my attention to detail or my ability to
follow directions ;-)

The A would puff smoke on hot startup.  I was never sure whether it was gas
or oil so I am replacing the float valves and adding valve guide seals just
to make sure that I fix the problem.  The carbs came to me equipped with
Viton tipped needles with brass bodies.  The new ones from Moss are brass
tipped with plastic bodies.  Any preferences in the group here?  The old
ones don't look too bad- there is a visible but continuous line at the
sealing point-  but I did occasionally see dampness on top of the back
carb.  They aren't tough to change in any case.

Thanks again for all of the past and future help.

Regards,
Bill Eastman
61 MGA calling from home- "fix me!  fix me!"