re: MGA engine installation/removal

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: re: MGA engine installation/removal
From: Michael MacLeod <macleodm@cadvision.com>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 18:37:58 -0600
Back in 1971 when I was a young pup too dumb to know any better, I
decided my 'A' needed an engine rebuild.  So I started....  I did not
have the benefit of a Haynes (or any other) manual, so I just split the
engine and tranny apart in car.  Then I hoisted the motor out separately
and then dragged the tranny out by hand.  It went in the same way.  I
know this works because I had to do it again twice more until I got the
rebuilt done professionally.  As I recall, it was a little tricky to get
the clutch spline aligned with the transmission shaft, but it just took
a few minutes  of jiggling it around.

    I remember it well because what I thought was bad rings and bearings
was just a sticky valve.  Oh, we are dumb when we are young.  On the
other hand I was smart enough to buy an 'A' for my first car..... and
smart enough to keep it.  It continues to give me more pleasure than it
has a right to, considering the abuse I've heaped on it in the last 28
years.