Re: Can '67 dash be intalled in 69 GT?

To: Michael MacLeod <macleodm@cadvision.com>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Can '67 dash be intalled in 69 GT?
From: Jim Boyd <ISC@dcsi.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 1998 06:30:58 -0500
Hey Michael:

As others by now have probably noted, it would be very difficult to install
the '67 dash on a '69 MGB. (I've tried!) I never understood why British
Leyland decided that a glove box wasn't necessary!   I sure use mine!

Something I have experimented with is not for the faint-of-heart purist!  I
took a '69 dash that was totally cracked and un-repairable as a donor.
Then I removed all the padding and black plastic covering.  Bead blast the
little guy (I even discovered rust near the lower part of the instrument
cluster!).  A few primer coats to give me an even base coat.  Then used
some satin black 3M Rocker Schultz (available at any decent auto paint
store) to give the dash two good coats.  This gives a nice "splatter" type
of undercoat look...easier to control than wrinkle paint, especially when
its 50 degrees in the shop!

The benefits of this new dash is that it actually gives your passenger
about 3" more space on that side of the cockpit and creates a "new" look!
The downside, of course, is that your car no longer meets Federal Safety
Standards and could be confiscated by your local police authority (right!)

I've also considered drilling 2 1/4" holes for gauges to be placed in the
dash, now that there is plenty of space available.  Also, one could put
their car rallye, autocross, etc event dash plaques there, too.

Hope this gives you some useful ideas!
Cheers,
Jim Boyd
International Sportscar Components