RE: LBC NDC - now how I wash eyeballs

To: "Jim Carney" <carney_fam_ark@email.msn.com>,
Subject: RE: LBC NDC - now how I wash eyeballs
From: "doug russell" <dr-doug@classic.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 98 13:00:47 UT
I hope all of your MG trunk paraphernalia came through without damage.

Regarding gas station attendants - the one you dealt with might have been as
bright as a stick but at least he spoke English.  Once, my now 8 year old son
(today is his birthday) who was 5 at the time, had the misfortune of getting
some gas in his eyes by being curious at the wrong time.  He stuck his face a
bit too close to the filler nozzle just as it clicked off and a back splash of
gas came gushing out of the tank.  At this point everything turned to slow
motion as I ran over to him and started to scream out to the attendant that my
son just got some gas in his eyes and I needed a water source pronto.  Well
lucky me I get a shrug and a puzzled look from the attendant - I guess "fill
it up" and "OK" was about the extend of his comprehension and literacy with
English.  Fortunately, in one of the repair bays, I spied a hose and ran over
to it and started flushing out my son's eyes.  At this time the 5 watt bulb
must have barely started to glow over the attendants head as my son was crying
hysterically "it hurts, it hurts" and I was repeatedly trying to rinse the gas
from his eyes - the attendant came over to watch.  Well after an eternity
(about 3 minutes) of rinsing my son's eyes the "it hurts" complaints stopped
and I continued rinsing for another minute or so.  He was OK - we were both
pretty wet and on the way home we joked about the "adventure".  I was able to
make some points about safety and listening to dad and he told me how scared
he had been because it hurt his eyes so much.  We stopped by the local
convenience store back in PA (Chubbies) for the obligatory "brave little boy"
reward.  Oh, the attendant, I guess he got to clean up the big mess of water I
left in the middle of the repair bays cause he looked like a man looking for a
mop when we left - too bad he couldn't tell me where the bathroom was.

BTW, this happened in NJ where the law mandates that an attendant fill your
tank - self serve is not allowed.  Apparently the government in NJ has deemed
that its citizens are unable to operate these gas pumps safely and has
entrusted this simple task, albeit with extremely volatile material, to
foreign nationals who do not speak English.  A law which, I'm sure, must make
sense to someone.

Dr. Doug