Re: Steering control problems - MGA [rambling]

To: Nory@webtv.net (Nory)
Subject: Re: Steering control problems - MGA [rambling]
From: Carol <car@intersatx.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 1998 17:57:29 -0500
At 06:24 PM 6/1/98 -0400, Nory wrote:
>Carol,
>
>What a wonderful way to spend the day!  Too bad things just aren't what
>they used to be.  A lot of those country roads are gone.
>
>One question - where to you put a coffee mug in an MG?  This is a
>problem I have wrestled with myself.

Ummmmm..... ask Barney! He tried to throw it out while we were doing Brit
Run last year!

After my return, I found this nifty dealie at Auto Zone. It's adjustable
for any size mug, and the adjustment is very positive, not apt to fail. (I
use the 20 oz Aladdin mugs). It will either screw into the tunnel or has
this "attachment" that will fit it toward the back of the seat and under
the back where it folds forward. Once there, it stays until you pull the
back forward again. Easy to put in and out, though. No tricks or tools.
Just good old friction and gravity at work. No tippee. No spillee. No
bitchee. I like it. Seems like I paid $7-8 for it. It comes in
one-color-fits-all: black. When you have a passenger, though, you can't use
the seat part of the holder. You have to use the passenger, or screw the
thing to the floor.

If you can't find one, I'll check the parts store where I got mine for a
vendor or will get you one. Let me know. I looked at others that were
pretty sorry... I doubted that they'd work well.

Barney came up with a spill-proof holder made out of cardboard and duct
tape the week before we got back. It worked great, sized specifically for
my 20-oz cup. Sure would have been nice to have that for the whole trip.
He's not a coffee drinker. I am.  He taped it to the carpet in front of the
shifter. Worked really great! No spills after that. (Prior to that
"invention" I'd park my cup in his seat when we'd stop. Didn't go over well
after a few tippees!)

So you could probably fabricate something yourself, too, if you feel
"inspired."

Carol