Owner 2 weeks - Still Smiling :) (sorry, longish)

To: "'MG List'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Owner 2 weeks - Still Smiling :) (sorry, longish)
From: "Webber, Geoff" <gwebber@dow.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 19:21:21 -0400
Well, at the risk of being proclaimed "enthusiastic" (but that's not a
bad thing....) I thought I'd give an update of my first 2 weeks with the
MG. I bought the car (69B roadster) with basically no rego left on it,
>and I was going away for a week for work, so it was a bit of a rush getting
green slips (compulsory 3rd party insurance), comprehensive insurance
(like fire, theft, at-fault accidents etc.), pink slips (we don't have
emission control checks here, but in New South Wales there is an annual
roadworthy check - I guess its like the MOT in UK) etc...aaghh! All this
paperwork - I'd forgotten about it after 8 years of company cars where
>someone else gets those jobs :) Anyway, thats all done.
>I bombed out on the rego pink slip (lower arm bushes were shot and needed a
>new U/V joint on the tailshaft) so I gave it to the guys at the Morris Centre
>for the week I was away to fix up and give it a "once-over"  They seemed
>helpful and enthusiastic about the marque and tidied up a few things that
>needed doing (fix front carb flooding, carb synching, tune-up etc, replacing
a missing spring and plate in the oil filter assembly, get the RIGHT
distributor cap...) I've discovered the meaning of the DPO now too....
but now I'm all set I think. Put a new set of tyres on too - some
175/75x14's that look the part and have made a big difference to the
ride as well. I hope so, spent enough money this month all ready :) Time
to get the tools out and start doing things myself. Luckily the first
>car I ever had was an Anglia 105e so I have a lot of SAE sized tools :)

I have to say, I did miss the car the week I was away for work, and I've
only had it 2 weeks :) To make up for it I spent Sunday pulling the
seats out, beating the carpets, giving a it a real good clean and polish
(and then spending 2 hours trying to put those rotten bolts back through
the runners....they sure don't line up real well!!)  I've discovered my
whole heater system seems to be for show only...the wires just stop
without being attached to anything, and the heater fan rocker switch has
no function at all - apart from the therapeutic value of playing with it
at red lights :)

To cut a long note short, I've still got the original MG grin, and I'm
building a list of jobs to do to keep me busy in the coming months. My
wipers need looking at next I think - I've got 3 of them but only 2 stay
on the windscreen. The 3rd one seems to want to find other MG's to wave
at. (Oh, took a friend for a ride in the MG on Friday and we met another
MGB. I waved, he waved, my mate said " I think I'm going to be ill....do
you wave at all the other Mitsubishi's on the road too when your driving
the other car?" Hehehehe....I don't think he gets it!)
>I've sent the application form away to join the MG Club of Sydney, and look
>forward to some fun with the car. If you see a British Racing Green 69B
>(TSK170) driving around the area give me a wave.

Aren't these clear autumn days just perfect for driving without the
hood? My 3 y.o. son sure thinks so as well. He arrived at kindy in style
yesterday. Now, if only I can get him to call it "MG" instead of
>"Daddy's noisy car"....... heheheeee

Cheers,

Geoff.