Voltage Stabilizer (watch this little dude!!)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Voltage Stabilizer (watch this little dude!!)
From: ccrobins <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 1998 22:12:55 -0500
All,

   My B lives again!!  Vroom, vroom!  Had the head trued, stellite
exhaust valves, hi temp valve seates, new exhaust valve guides, lots of
new studs and nuts - the PO had some mechanic, grrrr!

  So I fired it up a few days back, vroom!  Drove it to the store,
vroom.  On the way back the temp guage sez HOT!  PANIC!!  What did I do
wrong?  Did some cracks in the head get by the magnafluxing??   Did I
put the head gasket on wrong?  I checked the thermostat, didn't I, did
it fail enow?  Did I, did I... ????????

  Wal, after I got it home I saw that it wasn'r venting coolant, so I
stuck a meat thermometer in the radiator and it showed 190 degrees F.
So after Fisher Jones (he's a helluvva guy) let me have a temp sender to
try and the guage read the same, I started suspecting the that the
system voltage was too high.  Heh.  So I checked the voltage across the
battery terminals with the engine running  (14.25 volts), turned on the
headlights (12.25 volts) and the temp reading decreased!   Hah!

  Well, boys and girls, there's a little thingy called a voltage
stabilizer under the dash. It's a bimetal strip switch that cuts the
system voltage to ~10 volts after it heats up.  This thing needs to be
oriented right-side up, within 20 degrees of horizontal, and has to have
a good ground through the mounting screw.  I suppose it has mercury
contacts.  Mine was upside down and the screw was loose! More grrr's..

  I was torn between anger and elation!!  Angry at the PO - or his
mechanic - and elated that I'd found the prob and it wasn't an engine
fault. Now I know why I ran out of gas when the gas guage showed almost
1/4 tank.  The stabilizer feeds the gas and temp guages only.

  Anyway, I drove the B around town and some twisty roads in 99 degree
temp and 90% humidity today and it didn't wimper.  VRROOOOMMM!!!

  FWIW,

  Charley Robinson
  Kerrville, TX
  `69 B Roadster - running again, VROOM!