Fuel pump woes

To: MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Fuel pump woes
From: "Gary A. Graham" <ggraham@edcen.ehhs.cmich.edu>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 1998 00:04:41 -0400
Please accept my apologies if this is a duplicat email -- having server
trouble.

The fuel pump (SU type, but really AC) on my B won't stop pumping. It
used to run a bit then taper off and stop when the ignition switch was
"on". I removed the hose and plugged it to see if it was a stuck float--

no change. I have no idea what to look for in the pump itself. Is there
some sort of pressure sensor to switch the pump on and off internally?
Does it matter if the pump runs continuously? I have read (I think) that

"solid state" fuel pumps run all of the time . . . . do they?

Thanks--

Gary
74 mgb