BugEye for Sale or Trade (Long)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: BugEye for Sale or Trade (Long)
From: jburruso@pacbell.net
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 20:14:33 -0800
There have been so many responses to my posting of my ” BugEye for sale
or trade,” that I have almost lost track of them.  The following update
may be helpful to folks out there who have asked a variety of questions
about the car.

The car is a 1960 Bugeye Sprite, (chassis#AN5L26473).  I’ve owned the
car for about a year and I had originally planned to restore it and use
it as an occasional driver.  A frequent question that people are asking
is “why are you selling the car?”  I’m selling the car because a recent
shoulder injury leaves me unable to tackle a restoration.  However I do
have to have an LBC in my life, so I offered the car for sale outright
or for trade.

The car was chemically dipped and stripped about ten years ago and was
primed right away. The cockpit and engine bay were professionally
painted with Ditzler, British racing green enamel.  Right after the car
was stripped, the little body work that it needed was done.   The body
currently is very solid with no dents or dings.  There are some areas
that do  need a little work in my opinion.  The bonnet is pretty good
but there is a  small dent in the nose that is easily repairable but way
beyond my body working skills.  The rockers panels, the pillars, the
spring hanger boxes are all rock solid.  There is some perforation of
the floorboards forward of the seats but nowhere near enough to want to
replace the floors.  The seat frames are somewhat rusty (I only recently
peeled off the upholstery) but can be cleaned up and are serviceable.
Currently the dash is out of the car for cleaning and priming and it is
in very good unmolested condition.  The gauge are all there and all
work.  The cockpit surrounds are in good shape and should polish up
well.  The same goes for the windshield frame.

The engine was professionally rebuilt and has zero miles on it.  The
original smooth case trans  turns easily and shifts but I do not know if
it was rebuilt.  Currently, the car is in rolling condition with the
front and rear suspension mounted as well as the steering.  Before I
injured my shoulder I was in the process of hand stripping the engine
bay.  I should be able to finish that within the week and get it primed.

I have some spare new parts:

a wiring harness
a new master cylinder
new brake cylinders new throw out bearing
and many miscellaneous parts

I also have many restoration and repair manuals that go with the car.

I have tried to describe the car as clearly and as honestly as possible
but I am sure some of you will have additional questions which I will
attempt to answer.  I do have the title of the car but the processing is
not complete but it is a clear title and there should not be any problem
getting it registered in California or any other state.

I would like to move the car soon.  I am asking $2500 for the car and
that is significantly less than my investment.  I also am considering
trading for any of the following :

MGB
TR-4
Spridget
Spitfire
or other interesting LBC’s
I would like a good running car with a decent body.  Wire wheel would be
a definate plus.  I would like to steer clear of junk, rusty cars and
cars put together out of other cars.

I apologize for repeating myself as I have already address some of these
issues with some of you.  Thanks in advance for you responses.

Joe Burruso
La Crescenta, California
60 Sprite AN5L26473