RE: Use of B sway bar on A.

To: "Unger, Larry G" <larry.g.unger@lmco.com>,
Subject: RE: Use of B sway bar on A.
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 17:09:52
At 12:40 AM 6/8/98 -0400, Unger, Larry G wrote:
>Dean E. Crowley wrote:
>
>> Is it a problem and can it be done. Can you just bolt it to the bottom
of the A front extension?

>Anti-Roll bar was stock on the late 'Twinkie' and 'DeLuxe'. They actually
bolt to the top of the front extension with links to the bottom wishbone
assembly.

>Brown & Gammons list the 'A' style Anti-Roll bar, but I'm pretty sure that
Barney Gaylord can confirm the fitting of the 'B' Anti-Roll bar.

Uh, nope!  Never done that.  I have an aftermarket sway bar from Addco
Industries in Florida, procured on the cheap through J.C.Whitney in
Chicago.  This one mounts to the bottom of the front frame extension an the
MGA, just drill two holes at each side, and one in the a-arm if it isn't
already there, and bolt it on, takes about 1/2 hour for installation.

The factory style front sway bar on the MGA mounts on top of the front
frame extension, and you may have to remove the frame extension to get it
in there.  I think that only the Twin Cam and Deluxe, a few very late model
MGA 1600's and the MGA MK-II models had the holes and indentations on top
of the frame extensions to accomodate the sway bar.  However, a later model
front frame extension (if you could find one) can be bolted to an earlier
MGA.  For my money, the Addco kit was a lot easier and a lot cheaper.

Incidentally, a few MGA Deluxe models were produced on special order prior
to the demise of the Twin Cam engine.  Want a really rare model?  Rumor has
it that the factory built about three MGA 1500 Deluxe cars.  But please
don't ask me to prove it.

Saftey faster,

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude